Friday, May 18, 2012

'positive' step

First two patches of estradiol are on my skin. Made me feel like I have an invisible superpower now, and hopped on my bike. Leaving DP behind with the boys, they all have the day off.

Swung by my doctor's assistant this morning to pick up the last thyroid results.
For those of you who speak thyroid here goes:

test                       my result     (normal range)
prolactine             19µg/l         (1.2 - 29.9)
TSH                       2mU/L        (0.5 - 5)
T4 free                  15pmol/L    (9 - 24)
T3                         1.49nmol/L    (0.89 - 2.45)
Thyroid globulin 66.3 µg/l    ( - 70)
antibodies TPO    218 IE/ml    positive from 101 IE/ml
antibodies Tg       349 IE/ml    positive from 345 IE/ml

Pap smear gives pap 1 which is normal.

So, all positive then! is what I thought. And then I looked up on google why I had the antibody test. And then it said that having those antibodies is no good, especially not when you want embryos to have a good chance to actually implant themselves.
When thyroid antibody positive women were treated with a combination of thyroid hormone, aspirin and prednisone their success rates closely mirrored that of women without thyroid autoimmune disease and far exceeded the results of their untreated counterparts.
Or you know, live baby. From other study:
The women in the treatment group had a live birth rate of 77% compared to 35% in the control group who received no treatment. The treatment group had a low miscarriage rate of 19% compared to 65% in the control group.

10:30
fired off email to Spain immediately saying I am worried, made a phone call to check if they work today (yes, my medical assistant starts at 11 and will speak with the doctor)

Hardly anyone in the office here, but I find it impossible to focus. Patches feel warm on my skin. Trying to stay off google. Just know that the longer I search the more thyroid cancer I will read about. Stress enough without that.

12. Dutch doctor on the phone not concerned, will only prescribe if I get word from Spain. Only available till 1500.

12:12 Spain on the phone, doctor not available yet. Assistant knows she will probably advice on some thyroid hormone, but doesn't know the dosage.

12:35 Dutch hospital emails back that I have an appointment for an ultrasound CD7. Yay

13:03 Spain on the phone: I am to take Eutirox 25 µgram starting today.

13:08 Spain by mail: start Aspirin and Prednisolone the day before transfer as well.

13:41 Dutch doctor's assistant will fax Eutirox prescription to pharmacy.

3 comments:

  1. My goodness. So much information flying about - and the parties are responding in very prompt fashion so I am hoping that in itself allays some of your (totally understandable) anxieties on thyroid test results.
    Onward!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite exciting reading all this. Numbers! Progress! Progress! Numbers!

    I am wishing and hoping for you with every fibre of my being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on another step completed. I am happy to read that the clinic inSpain is up on the current treatment for thyroid antibodies.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.