Monday, September 27, 2010

New job

ah, the new job.
On Friday I saw 5 white stretch limousines pull away from the office, apparently an outing for a different department...
So yes, the party side of things is definitely running here.

I'm in the IT department, traditionally populated by 90% male consultants and very few permanent staff. I believe it is quite normal bookkeeping practice in a country where firing (permanent) people costs money and consulting contracts expire for 'free' every 2 months.
This company however prides itself for being cheap. Here consultants are perceived as more expensive (while they do the same work- how unfair) they can choose to move on (they must be disloyal) and somehow not quite human, but replaceable 'knowledge goods'.(staff go through HR, consultants go through Procurement, I'm not kidding) The IT director personally believes consultants are 'necessary evil' and doesn't hesitate to vent her opinion.
Then, long live flexibility, there were weeks with hardly any work for me to do. But they couldn't tell me when it would come in, so please stand by. Sit behind your desk till we remember you, you evil money wasting non-person.

It took me a while to realise this company is not doing me a favor, hiring me. It took a family party where I heard myself saying I could look for another contract because this company is plain schizophrenic.
Just, during the summer holidays where I was trying my best not to be the evil stepmother, that 'I am evil' bee kept buzzing through my head. It was an angry bee I tell you.

SOoo, realizing that I have options has relieved some buzzing. Realizing I don't have to act on that immediately if I don't feel like it has made it easier to accept the work situation.
A week later work started getting busier, that has helped a bit too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so dehumanising and demoralising for the contractors. Very bad psychology, on the company's part, don't you think?

    I suppose the thing to do is play them at their own game - just stay as long as is convenient for you, right? There are other work places, after all. There must be better ones..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it time for the Big Trip yet? Counting the days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wandered onto your blog from Maddy's blog (I think, sorry bored at work), anyway I wanted to reach out and let you know about a DE forum just in case you have questions or are just looking for support.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/57451/
    It was seriously my saving grace when I was dx POF. Anyway, good luck with work!
    All my best!

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.