Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Preparations

Listening to Sweet G's advice I've been preparing to get in the mood for this trip, leaving in 4 weeks and a bit.
In the library I raided the travel section (lonely planet - both the guide and travel stories, Insight Guide) then on to the 'other countries' section for some books on culture and lastly the 'ancient era' section for a book called "The lost civilization of Petra" . The title alone makes me smile, makes me remember and dust off that feeling of thrill of discovery.
Of course a little voice tells me that my expectations are so high I can only be disappointed, but, knowing that, I might just be back to normal curious. I know that magic doesn't always happen when and where you want it to, but, well, it could.
Today I realised I skipped the language section, so will go back for a phrasebook Arabic (and maybe some more history: Petra and the lost kingdom of the Nabataeans.) I love being able to count to ten and saying simple hello's in different languages. Maybe this time I'll try to learn some Arabic letters again. I managed 18 years ago for a week in Morocco, but forgot to try in 2009 when travelling through Egypt.
Tomorrow DP will try to get a passport. Still debating whether or not I should convince him to get vaccinations. It's recommended (DTP and hepatitis A) but not mandatory. And he is terrified of needles. (I once made him faint by just telling a story) What would you do?
I guess I could not worry, taking into account he is a grown man and makes his own decisions...

It was fun browsing the web for water carrying systems like Camelbak and Platypus, it really helps to get into believing that I might be walking through a desert and needing water. It shouldn't be too hot in October, just enjoyable
please little voice at the back, stop the sighing, and stop suggesting that if even this doesn't work it's time to finally leave DP...

Update: I just paid the full amount for the trip, an important step in making this really happen!
Little voice getting fainter already
1,2,3 (wahid ithnan thalatha) I'm off reading!

4 comments:

  1. It's so nice to hear you so excited, Valery - your trip and your preparations sound wonderful! How meaningful that DP has suggested this and is following through on it so quickly - it's clear he really wants you to feel happy and fulfilled! If it were me, I would explain to DP what having DTP and hepatitis A would entail, and leave it up to him whether or not he goes for the needles! Can't wait to hear all about Egypt!
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the excitement, the getting ready is all so much fun. Just let go of all your worries and enjoy every moment. Onward to Petra!

    (Maddy's advice on the needles is good, don't you think?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so so exciting!! It's happening!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear that you're getting excited for your trip and that you're researching like crazy. Congratulations on paying off the trip in full! I agree with Maddy about the needles, give your DP the knowledge of what he's may be saying no to by not getting the needles and go from there.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.