or, how differently
Today was our last working day before our trip to Jordan. Since it was sunny we went outside for a lunch walk. DP was telling me how stressful it was to wrap up work for a week. How he was discussing with a friend at work that you should indeed block your calendar, switch on your out-of-office-reply, but then go to work and do all the things you normally don't get the time for.
I could not believe my ears. I guess I should not automatically conclude he would rather be at work then tramping through some historic desert with me. He insisted he only meant to say preparations are stressful.
It's just, sometimes I can't believe men and women, he and I are so different.
On the other hand, the scaring tactic to get him vaccinated didn't work, so I had let that go for a while. Then, last Saturday, I casually asked if he was planning on not eating any fresh fruit or vegetables on the trip to avoid water contaminated with hepatitis A. (At home DP has fruit for breakfast every working day) Then he agreed that he should get the shots. We went together, and it turned out my shots for Egypt from last year were still valid. It was only in the next waiting room that it dawned on him I was there for support only, and it made him smile. Then a male nurse gave him the tip that worked for him: cross your legs (above the knee) and Squeeeze! He didn't even notice that first shot, and got up smiling and relieved after the second shot... I was proud of him, and he was too. The guy said he hadn't had anyone faint on him for over a year, and was pleased to keep his reputation.
Now the last worry is to find some piece of long sleeved clothing that will protect DP from the desert sun in 40C heat. His skin is practically Irish so pale and freckled. (and his father has already had a spot of skin cancer removed) but the outdoor shops are gearing up for winter sports now..
Oh, and his mother was on the phone, if we would come for dinner on the Sunday. I was mouthing NO, it is the evening before we leave, we need to pack. And he said yes, we will be there and bring the kids...
Aargh, how dare he say preparations are stressful! and then hardly worry about anything, he even did grocery shopping for next week?!
So hard to not take it personally (how could he possibly forget while he was in the supermarket?)
Maybe I wanted this trip to be a magic cure for everything. But BambiEyes already warned that it will be hard work and effort and trying and failing and trying again, to connect the two of us again....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Funny, how differently you see things :) I hope you have a wonderful trip and come back with a new glow!
ReplyDelete