Friday, July 23, 2010

Survival trip

First fights are fought, first legs of journey are made.
Some people call it holiday, or vacation--- ahh the stress---
The first surprise was the rental car (isn't there always a 'surprise' when renting cars?) They didn't have the station car we reserved, but gave us a big black shiny taxi like sedan. DP denies he was cursing while trying to pack everything into the boot/trunc/back of the car, while illigally parked in our very narrow street. The boys think it is a cool car, or whatever the latest word for cool is. I'm a bit scared that the car is so big. And so wide. Would I be able to drive it? There are too many buttons! It can play DVDs! In front! The glove box is air conditioned!

Would the average French campsite even allow us between the tents with a car this big?
O well, deep sigh, deep breath, how bad will it be? Tomorrow Europe will be one big traffic jam while we try to cross Belgium west to east, then Luxemburg north to south and then some of France.

O dear, while typing on a strange computer (at DPs parents house) I suddenly find the spell checker changed languages on me... so sorry for my home made spelling.
Just wanted to let you know I will be thinking of you for the next two weeks, but most likely unable to be online. It would be hard keeping this blog private with 3 people hovering around me in a French internet cafe. Oh and French keyboards? Hopeless! I probably wouldn't even get past my password. Speaking of which, I found it quite inspiring to have my password at work sounding like 'willsurvive' At work it tells me I will survive another day. And for this trip, it is only two weeks, and BambiEyes agrees I should take a break if it is getting a bit much every now and then. Take care, know I wish you good news and hope and health and see you in August again.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I won't catch you with an email now! Too late. Sorry. But good luck Valery. Travel safely. And France! Nice pastries? Maybe you can go for a "run" in the morning, that takes in the local cafe?

    Willsurvive, willsurvive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip! Having his kids around all day everyday will be very hard, but I hope it will also bring you a little joy every once in a while.

    I wasn't a big fan of my stepmom when I was a kid, but what I remember of the vacations we went on with my dad and her are mostly fun things. Of course, we didn't have the whole infertility-barrier between us...

    Once I hit puberty we had a whole other barrier. The "I'm a teenager! I should hate someone. She's pregnant with MY dad's child. I know, let's hate HER!"-barrier.

    I hope with all my heart you will get to experience that particular barrier someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, confession: the car was a dream to drive. And the navigation system made life easy. (Look boys, this number is how far we still have to go. Just look here and never ask again) First two nights in an apartment owned by a former colleague, easy. Tomorrow further south to catch the sun, bit chilly here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy my friend (I know it sounds hard at the moment!) I'll miss you and look forward to reading you again. Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes for a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.