Monday, July 12, 2010

Hb

I went to the blood donation center again, but didn't pass the test for Hb. At first it was a young guy poking me twice, saying the readings weren't right, they were too low. He got a more experienced colleague who managed to squeeze darker drops of blood from my finger, so readings went from 5.9 and 6.1 (which they did not want to tell me) to 6.7 and 6.8 Fairly inexact science I suppose, but none of these values anywhere near the required 7.8 minimum for donation. And depending on whose definition of anemia you use (W.H.O. says 7.4 here they say 6.5) I'm getting there. The supervising doctor asked if I had maybe exercised a lot lately, among other things. Well, yes, I started working full time and cycling 10 km back and forth. They only wanted to make sure it was safe to let me go, as I was on my bike and all.
Strange situation, because knowing the low number and their concern I suddenly felt more tired, was aware of the occasional dizzy spell and was afraid to exercise in the heat.
I guess I'm practicing with little blog posts about little things again. Maybe the other things that bug me will slowly get within reach.

2 comments:

  1. Hi my friend! Listen, mind that anaemia, I would definitely suggest you go on iron-rich diet if not supplements! That cannot be good for you! Much love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm not surprised you don't feel well, Valery. I get that sometimes too, very pale and droopy, I can be - do you have Solgar in your health food shops in the NL? They have Gentle Iron which - ehem - doesn't have the unfortunate effects of some other iron supplements. Makes you hungry like a wolf though, or that might be just me ;-) Give me a nod if you want me to send some over.

    Take it easy in any case.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.