Saturday, September 6, 2014

Warm Waves

Warm waves.
Sometimes I start feeling warm when I enter Suzy's room when it's hot.
(Sorry Suzy, we didn't know your room would be the hottest room in the house during sunny summer days)
Sometimes the warmth creeps in when I drink tea.
Sometimes there is no reason at all for me to start feeling warm.

I'm not sure if this is what other people would call hot flashes. It is not that hot, if I remove one layer of clothing I'm fine again. It is not all that flashy fast, more a wave rolling in.
I have skipped a period. Or, taken a little break. Won't know till another CD 1 comes around.
Sigh, I don't know what is happening.
And I don't know if I'm ready to hear it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wrote that in August. It looks like I'm in denial about hot flashes. It looks like I was in denial about every possible symptom of POF other than infertility.
Fran said in her comment to read up on it.
"Estrogen-progestin replacement therapy should be instituted as soon as the diagnosis is made. Androgen replacement should also be considered for women with low libido, persistent fatigue, and poor well-being despite taking adequate estrogen replacement." according to PubMed  
I realise this study is almost 15 years old, and maybe contradictory studies have been done since.
BUT, I was diagnosed, what, 6 years ago? Someone, somewhere along the line could a doctor could have said something?

Little point in worrying over my bone density now. I have been fairly active most of those years and haven't broken anything. (And we Dutch people love our dairy products)
I'll just go out after writing and get some Calcium&Vit D tablets again. The minty ones are good.
On Monday I'll call my GP for an appointment. And give instructions to read up on HRT.
And a repeat subscription for thyroid meds.

5 comments:

  1. I love my HRT. I use premphase and I feel sooooo much better on it. No hot flashes! There is some research out there that you should look at. I believe they do not advise regular BC for POF. One of the levels is too high. Some women do a pill of one hormone and a patch of the other. You will figure out what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had very gentle hot flushes for a couple of years. (In NZ we call them flushes, not flashes.) Gentle waves, not lasting terribly long, only one or two a day, and very bearable. Till this year, when I felt as if I was burning up, and I was having about 25-30 a day, and they last four to five minutes (this is about average). This is why I've started HRT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Dutch we call them 'opvliegers'. It sounds like it means hot-tempered! (as in suddenly really angry)

      Delete
  3. Do a DEXA scan for baseline bone density, I would think you are fine, but no harm in checking where you stand (here i't recommended after 40 anyway!). Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Adjusting is hard work. Right behind you, here, in every sense.
    (Just as well the others have actual words of advice!)

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.