I need to vent about my boss. Today I had my mid year review (it is a mandatory thing)
With the boss who hired me I always had good to very good reviews. He knew the system and trained me on it to do more complicated stuff than my other team members.
This new hipster-boss doesn't know what I am doing, he admits that. So he talked for an hour about my 'attitude and behaviour' and found me lacking. Officially. He tried to explain to me how and why.
I sat there listening, trying to make sense of his words. But I didn't recognise anything. I almost started wondering if he was really talking about me. But every so often he said again I was capable of so much more, I guess that is the only thing we agree on.
I suppose the thing is I don't want to work on my full level because my company doesn't offer me a position on that level. I feel i have asked them repeatedly and it is just not happening.
(And I'm sick and tired of being a low paid woman doing the work where an overpaid man takes the praise for it. Or, when the overpaid man screws up his work tries to blame me)
Then in the afternoon we had our yearly IT event. We were so lucky with the weather, sun and wind, great to be outside. With 155 people we went on a boat to the world heritage site of the island of Pampus, where we had a tour, drinks and played children's games and Viking's Chess: Kubb. When I threw the winning block we were high fiving and I forgot all about being upset and wanting to cry.
(During lunch DP and HB advised me to let it go for a day or two, and then read it over, start asking questions and gather information. HB also joked that next time they would sit in on my review, wearing sunglasses)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sorrywhatnow? He doesn't understand what you are doing, so he picks on your attitude and behaviour? No, no. That is not being a proper boss. He needs to look at what you are actually contributing to the workplace, and what they are giving to you, (ie examine the working relationship (the under-payment, and under-valuing) which is the root of the problem) and none of this bull.
ReplyDeleteGood idea to give it a few days, as even at this distance, it is all a bit maddening! Grr.