Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Activelle

Managed to go to my GP today.
The blood test result or letter from the hospital had not arrived, but thankfully my doctor was happy to take my word for it. Updated thyroid pill prescription to 112microgram, so I don't have to break 75 microgram pills in half anymore to add the right amount.

New is the HRT, she is starting me on Activelle: 1mg estradiol and 0.5 mg norethisterone acetate.
Also managed to go to the pharmacy to pick it up.
What is so special about this pill it needs to be in a silly round box? And why put it in a transparent box if it must not be exposed to light?
Why call it a calendar box if I will not get a cycle?
My GP told me I was lucky that her senior partner had just retired, he was against HRT. Apparently Dutch doctors are divided about prescribing it, very worried about The Possible Increase Of Cancer Risk (mainly Ovarian and Breast cancer)

Just reading some more of the info, it says not to use HRT while breastfeeding. WHY? (Probably because no research has been done on babies?)
I'm going to ignore that for now.

4 comments:

  1. Did it eat my comment again??? Arrggg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did eat it!! So here it goes again. I was saying that doctors are definitely split about HRT, but much more on the same side when it is employed for POF, a different thing would be later on in life. I would not worry. As for the not breastfeeding, I think the hormones pass through the milk, but they may also affect your supply. Let me know if you want me to look more into this for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran is smart. :-)
    Good luck with the pills, VV. I hope they make you feel very fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My HRT is also in a monthly pack with the days marked, which I find strange. I've read quite bit about it, and the Possible Cancer Risks are mainly in women over 60. Even at my age it seems the benefits outweigh the risks. After almost four weeks I am definitely noticing an improvement, though not a disappearance of symptoms.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.