but nothing happened....
rationally I know only 5% of babies chooses their due date to actually be born, but emotionally I don't understand why nothing happened today. I mean, it's D Day ! The day I didn't dare to believe would ever come, and now that it is here it just passes by.
The good news is we had a check up today. 40wk 0 d. We took J along, both as a practice run and for this relatively special occasion, introduced him as the photographer and he promptly melted into the background. Trainee midwife going solo, taking all the time in the world for us.
Blood pressure back to normal: 120/70.
Belly check: all OK, Grasshopper's head engaged (=deep down low, ready for exit) She estimated the weight of the Grasshopper just from her hands on my belly, around 3200 gram, perfectly average.
When we said that DP's boys were a good 4000 she promised to eat her shoe if the Grasshopper would be as heavy ;-)
I said that compared to two weeks ago we feel less 'life'. Rationally we know there is just less room for the Grasshopper, so not only hopping is impossible but also kicks have changed into wriggles. Still going strong, but no more morning or afternoon playtime. She asked if we were worried, and I said I try not to. She asked if we wanted to do a CTG? Yes! The midwife in charge approved of it immediately, so I was hooked up to a belly band + monitor, and were left to listen to the sound of the heartbeat for half hour! (C for cardio)
T for toco, uterine contractions. Except we had no clue what the numbers meant.
And wouldn't you know it, as soon as I settled back in the cushions, legs up on the bed, DP fetching some tea, Grasshopper decided it was showtime.
Top blue line is the grasshopper heartbeat, and every big increase was accompanied by big belly movement. Near the end, the last 5 minutes you can see the rhythm returning to 120, start of the next nap time...
Afterwards they asked if I could feel the contractions? Um, no. If I press my hands on my belly then yes.
Looking at the bottom line you can see some fairly big increases, they must be Braxton Hicks contractions, but as long as I'm relaxed they are not painful at all. (For now!)
Glad we were offered the CTG, and not only reassured but very happy to see and feel the Grasshopper so alive.
While DP was getting us some tea J came up to me with the camera, showing me the 'picture of the day'. Big belly with doppler, my smiling face and DP with a shiny grin on his face.
Even DP agreed that J had a remarkable talent for being in the room without us realising it, so we could be relaxed and ourselves with our emotions.
And relive some of that with those pictures later....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Valery, sounds like all is going well but the waiting does get so very anxious-making towards the end! It sounds like Grasshopper is about to appear in the world very, very soon:) Sending you all best.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited, you sound so calm and relaxed I have to take notes to be just the same!! Will they induce you if you go much overtime? love, Fran
ReplyDeleteI have an appointment for 41w0d, then we will talk about inducing, if, when and how. So not until then! I suppose it depends, as long as Grasshopper is happy and healthy inside they might let me go till 42wk, but no longer. However if there are signs of less life or less nutrition that may change.
DeleteLa dernière ligne droite !
ReplyDeleteAh, I know about D-Day passing with nothing happening. Good luck with the final wait and with the impending labor and delivery. Hope everything will go smoothly!!
That is so cool! Good little Grasshopper. Any day now, eh? Very excited for you.
ReplyDelete(Am back at my desk if you feel like emailing or want some company.)