The 36 week check was a weird one. 5 minutes of a midwife quickly feeling my belly: head down low, big baby, good match for DP and me, no don't worry, not too big. Blood pressure 110/65, very comparable to my usual 120/60.
Then there was the 'common part' : 8 couples were hoarded into a meeting room, so we could learn from each others questions and birth plans and the like. I think most people felt uncomfortable with the setting. DP and I were mostly annoyed that it took forever. And it yielded no relevant information that wasn't in the brochure already.....
This morning the 38 week check. Blood pressure down to 100/60. Probably because I have more blood, which also explains why I'm not cold these days. Grasshopper almost too big to see much on the scan. Head down very low, so that's good. Saw some ribs, vertebrae, beating heart. What do you call a male midwife? (should've watched more Private Practice) I had asked if he could maybe check for a last minute boy/girl surprise. But placenta was firmly covering the baby bum!
No measurements, just the reassurance that baby is good size (and is very unlikely to have outgrown the tiny clothes I have been washing
I did mention I can't sleep through the night anymore, his guess was that I normally sleep on my belly (that's right) and therefore wake up when I try but can't.
After that I didn't want to mention I was afraid it was an indication of higher chance of post post-partum depression. (as the not sleeping through the night used to be a symptom of my normal/IF depression)
When we were done DP left for work, and I decided to scout for the part of the hospital where the delivery rooms are. Complete opposite side, had to cross the entire ground floor. Then to the second floor, a winding way back through renovations, and suddenly I happened upon a nice reception desk and someone to allow me a sneak preview of one of the rooms. There is not much room at all at the head side of the bed, so I think I agree with DP that before birth we don't want visitors, if anyone really wants to wait there is a waiting room. The (m) midwife did explain that only on my OK visitors will be allowed in, DP doesn't have a say in that.(well, from their point of view)
Then tram to home, because an uncle wanted to come visit. Then walk on to the new house. Then my mom called she had found a shop with strollers on sale, 50% off, so I trundled off through a light snow storm, met up with her, cycled to shop and agreed it was a good deal. Then HB called if I was still on for dinner. Metro. Car. Supermarket. Then I decided it was time for me to crash on his couch and let him do the cooking. DP had shuffled some kids/parents/dinner in the mean time and came to pick me up. Home now, completely knackered. Time for bed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are so close to meeting your little one! Get as much sleep as you can before the baby's arrival.
ReplyDeleteNEARLY there!!! Can't wait to read THAT update my friend!
ReplyDeleteWow that was a busy day! I can't believe you're already 38 weeks - on the home stretch now!
ReplyDeleteYou must have been knackered - what a full day! And your head seems to be getting around all the plans. Good on ya, pet. xx
ReplyDelete