I was cleaning out the entire trunk that holds our linens. And at the very bottom found this pillow case, a leaving gift from my previous neighbour 10 years ago. It is a poem and I will not do it the injustice of a bad translation, but it is about sleeping & dreaming, and the second line says something like "I want to dream of a baby in the crib"
Had to snuggle up to DP on the sofa and cry a little on his shoulder before I could put it on a pillow. On our bed. Next to that empty crib. The crib that might....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can only read the odd word (does it go "I go to sleep. I will dream..." then the last line is "I go to sleep, I will dream that I dream?"), but it's a lovely pillowcase.
ReplyDeleteHope Grasshopper is not making you too uncomfortable. I think no matter how much IF makes you put pregnancy discomforts into perspective, the last week or so is looooooong!
yes, and yes, sooo long!
DeleteJust cos I'm curious and I'm not looking it up on Google...
DeleteIt goes, I will go to sleep, I will dream of the baby in the cradle
I will go to sleep, I will dream that I am near (and I can't get the rest,except that it might be like "vlei" in Afrikaans)
I will go to sleep, I will dream of the lemon and the tree
I will go to sleep, I will dream that I dream."
I hope you are sleeping peacefully, although I realise you probably aren't. I didn't do anything useful, I just played video games and wanted to get it all over with.
Good luck pal, and hopefully as I type, it will all be over for you!
(dat ik vlieg -> that I fly
Deletenaar de sterren -> to the stars)
Beautiful! I love Willem Wilmink's work.
ReplyDeleteHere's another one for you, from Sjoerd Kuyper (from the book "Ik blijf altijd bij je"). My mom gave it to me when I was pregnant with M. Sensible:
Moet je zien dit is mijn kindje,
Het woont nog op de maan.
Kijk die slaapmuts en die schoenen
met die belletjes eraan.
Dit is de foto die ze maakten
in het ziekenhuis: Het leeft!
Met een fluit en een viool
- al wat het later nodig heeft.
En soms hoor ik ook een trommel,
katteklop, soms hard, soms zacht.
Het is donker waar mijn kind woont,
waar mijn kind woont is het nacht.
Want het is nog niet geboren,
in mijn buik is alles zwart.
Maar mijn kindje geeft zelf licht
en blaast sterren naar mijn hart.
Ooh. I wish I could read Dutch. So full of (what seem to me) lovely onomatopoeic sounds.
ReplyDeleteIt must be an emotional time. Lots of hugs, VV. Nearly there..
The crib that will! Really lovely and I'd be crying too!!
ReplyDelete