A year and 9 days ago I left my old job, a job that I loved. Some colleagues had become friends and family. I went through IVF at the same time as someone else... It was more than a job. Lunch walks with BFG, and many more shoulders to cry on.
As a freelance consultant I had a clause in my contract with the intermediary party that I could not go back within a year while not using them. I didn't like that party, and my team was going to be outsourced anyway, so it didn't seem to matter.
But just now a young colleague at the new job rocks up next to my desk, saying he had a good interview at my old job and he can start mid October.
I am so angry now, I can feel it tingle in my fingers. It feels like this sprat it taking my job. My year is over, it feels like I'm entitled to go back. and yes, a little betrayal too. They could have asked me. They should have...
Wow, it's been more than a year and I still don't seem to cope with rejection..... with good things (jobs/pregnancies) passing me by..... if I were two years old I could fling myself on the floor and wail. But I'm at work fighting back tears.
And I have 1 hour left to cheer up before the whole IT department troops into cars and buses and we go for an afternoon of sailing and BBQ after. Fun.
Pfieew! is late now, back from sailing. The weather cleared up, some sun between the clouds, nice breeze, in other words perfect sailing conditions. Focusing on wind direction, speed and trim did actually help to not think about the rest for a couple of hours. Not carrying the concrete block around for a while. So this afternoon was definitely more fun than crying at home would have been. Thanks for cheering me on.
Can go to bed with rosy cheeks now......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh shit, Val. Those feckers! I tell you what, they probably took the sprat because they could get away with paying him less. You'd be better value, and have the experience but they only care about the bottom line.
ReplyDeleteIt most likely is as simple as that.
I think adults should be allowed to have temper tantrums. Toddlers know how much better you feel after..
I hope you're able to cheer up in time for your BBQ and sailing. Sorry about the co-worker.
ReplyDeleteI'm posting this comment after your update - I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the sail...I was actually wondering how bad the new job could possibly be when they arrange for the staff to go on an afternoon of sailing and a BBQ! But for all I know all companies in Amsterdam do that! :-)
ReplyDeleteTwangypearl makes a great point about them being able to pay the kid less than they would pay you for an inferior product. I'm sorry it had to happen all the same.
I do know what you mean about watching good things happening to other people...that said, I hope this trip you're taking feels like a very good thing for you!
Love,
Maddy