Thursday, February 18, 2010

just when I was leaving....

My mother had asked if I would please come over and rescue some old school stuff of mine that turned up when they were taking apart bookshelves. We spend a very dusty afternoon going through old paper, throwing most of it out. Twenty years late. Conversation was nothing special, my mother doing most of the talking with her famous half stories and unfinished sentences. And five minutes later continuing where she left of. Can be confusing if you don't practice! (But don't worry, a rerun will come sooner rather than later)
Just when I was leaving, hat, scarf, one leg on my bike, she said:
But can't you get someone else's eggs?
So then we talked some about that. About percentages. Age. About grief and its different stages. About how some couples don't survive that. She was all ears. And all agreement.
It was good to feel my mother firmly on my side. Slightly amazed she is not scared by the idea or technology, thinking it wrong somehow.
Maybe she doesn't let on, but I suspect she wants me to have a baby a much as I do.

Tonight she is babysitting for her upstairs neighbours. I wouldn't be surprised if she took the little one (2 months now) from his crib and hold him for a while he sleeps, wondering if...

5 comments:

  1. It must be so nice to have the support of your mother - I'm so glad you could talk to her like that. I envy how close you are.

    I don't know a lot of your details (i.e. how high your FSH has been, whether you are still doing timed intercourse each month, what kind of meds you have tried, if you are doing acupuncture, etc.), but I can't help but wonder if you have considered getting a second opinion from another clinic - perhaps another RE might try different medication protocols with you to find what could work. Another idea is to request an AMH test like I did, for FSH is not to be solely relied upon to determine ovarian reserve...Any further information might be helpful in making a decision about what to do next.

    I just hate to see you floundering in this lonely place right now with so little hope. 37 is still young (hell, you're younger than me!) and there are things you can try with your own eggs in the meantime while you consider donor eggs as an option.

    POF is still a very mysterious diagnosis...I look at all the high FSH success stories around as a great inspiration - Grizzly Eggs is a wonderful example of this!

    Whatever you decide to do, I hope things start to look brighter soon.

    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddy,
    I've made a page with test numbers and have hidden the link in my Timeline sidebar. Here it is in full:

    http://poffertj.blogspot.com/p/numbers.html

    I'm not sure if I can enable comments on that page as well, sorry..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! My mother does that too, except she starts in the middle of the story. It takes a bit of mental agility to make sense of her. She makes me laugh.
    You really have a good dialogue with yours, that's SO good. Good on you, VV's mother! Like you already.

    (Now I think of it I still need to get rid of my school notes out of my old room. Eek! Poor parents).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing how strong our mothers are when it's needed? I'm glad she's there for your support.

    If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, or just to vent at how crappy POF is, email me: highfsher@yahoo.ca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad your mother is firmly on your side. It's so good to have family support.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.