We started out near the touristy village of Volendam.
If you're not easily susceptible to motion sickness you could try have a look around with my unsteady hand:
From there we crossed to the island of Marken over what was sea till 1927, but thanks to some famous dikes is now tamed into a big lake. To get a feeling from being on the move, and glimpse the difference in sight and sound between flat ice and rubble, click again below. And yes, I was so proud of my new skates that I captured my toes for a split second as well.
There was a fair wind picking up, and we Dutch people not only love skating, we love boats even more. Did you know boats can skate too?
Then I found the pinnacle of winter-Dutchness: clogs with spikes!
Then we did a couple more crossings because ice this flat, fast and easy is rare (it would snow that night already) and ended up in the beautiful old city of Monnickendam
That night we watched Sven skate and win his olympic gold medal. We now call that city Svencouver...
Wow! What an expanse of ice, Valery. Extreme coolness! it's amazing how far you travelled!
ReplyDeleteHow I like your country. It's so pretty.
Svencouver! Very funny. I would love to be able to skate on ice like that. Looks like you had a fabulous day!
ReplyDelete