Sunday, January 20, 2013

Peetvader


Peetvader translates to godfather.

Definition of godfather

noun

  • 1 a male godparent: he is godfather to her child
  • 2 a man who is influential or pioneering in a movement or organization: the godfather of alternative comedy
  • a person directing a criminal organization, especially a leader of the American Mafia: the Mafia godfather believed to be behind the murder of two judges
Definition of godparent

noun

a person who presents a child at baptism and promises to take responsibility for their religious education.


So. Uhm.
Not quite the definitions I was looking for. I'm not a religious person and neither am I in need of someone directing a criminal organisation for my unborn child.
Nevertheless.
I'm all for education.
Not afraid of reinventing tradition on my unconventional way to becoming a parent, I felt it would be beneficial for the grasshopper to know there is someone special out there whom I trust. Someone to go to with questions we as parents may fail to answer to satisfaction. Someone without whom I might have lost the nerve on this path of DE. Someone who is not afraid to talk about emotions, or share or show them.
Three months ago, in a spontaneous moment I have asked HB if he wanted to be godparent to the grasshopper. He got a bit emotional while saying yes. (and I'm so happy he understands what I mean)
I've tried to discuss it with DP, but DP can't see past the definition and sticks to the simple 'no baptism=no godparent'.
(and again, HB understands)

Also in the past months HB has been toiling to clear up his parental home (after his father died and his mother lives in a nursing home now) And between all clutter and things that need to be thrown out he found this:


I love it. I travelled with him to pick it up. I got emotional when I saw him, so tall and skinny, carrying his own pram-bed, both from 1970.
I don't care how many people point out to me this is a highly impractical choice, that I can't carry it up the stairs or manoeuvre it through small inner city shops. (We'll get something else for those purposes)
This will be fine for walking through parks. This will be fine even in train or metro outside rush hour. This will only last a short time.
Life hasn't been all easy so I intend to enjoy its beauty when I can.
And I do hope this will be the beginning of a special bond between the tall one and the small one.

4 comments:

  1. You're so right! Practical, schmatical. It is lovely and significant. Maybe you can also have a sling.. or I don't know whatever will suit you for stairs and so on.

    Also, very well done. This also means you are getting The Stuff you'll need, and therefore grappling with the emotional realities. I had wondered if you'd got The Stuff... and this is a good step.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel your hope and looking to the future coming through. I am so happy that you are beginning to get comfortable with looking to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful!! I also have not paid much attention at all to Godparents, we had to have them, I think they were my SIL and husband for Oliver, but if I have to say i gave it much thoughts I'd be lying!! Your reasoning behind it though is fantastic and grasshopper is going to be one lucky child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I thought I already commented on this post, but apparently only in my head! The stroller is beautiful! And yeah, just get a baby carrier (I love the Manduca.. it comes closer to one of those cloth 5m wraps than things like a Babybjörn and is also ergonomically better, weight is not on on baby's genitals but on hips/butt) for the small shop doors and apartments / doctors offices without elevator.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.