Thursday, October 18, 2012

1880

It was the year 1880 and my great-great-grandmother unexpectedly gave birth to a baby. My great-great-grandfather was overjoyed and ordered a crib from a blacksmith for this occasion. This crib must have been reasonably solid, as it was passed down the generations. Can't remember if my mother slept in that crib as a newborn, but she could tell me that my brother and I did, as did some of her nephews and nieces. the youngest of whom is 27 now. In the mean time this crib has been in a different branch of the family, which my mother got in contact with. Next week the crib will be delivered back to her. She reckons she probably kept the sheets for the crib. For more than 40 years? 'Well, they are only small' she said.
I will not be passing down any dna, but I'm so very happy and grateful to hopefully have a chance to pass down this tradition. And the most amazing thing? my favourite baby name that I've been savouring for years, was also given to this baby in 1880...

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing! Please post a pic as soon as you get the crib!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely story. How wonderful. And the name?
    That is terribly sweet, it feels so proper and fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is touching. What an incredible gift.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.