Saturday, October 27, 2012

it's very pastelly yellow

Very pastelly yellow was my first thought when I saw it standing in my parents living room. I like the iron work, the curly feet, the wavy side. It looks, mhm, quite modern in a way. I will give it some time to see if I can get used to the fabric. Our current house is quite full already, and there are a lot of green little stars on the outside. Plus you can't see much of the iron this way. The inside is yellow with tiny white dots, much quieter.
On the other hand: I'm quite clumsy when it comes to fabric and sewing and such. Taking off the fabric  I could easily do, but getting something else back on? I have no idea how old or new this fabric is though, last baby in the crib was born 2006, the 3 before him late 90s, so probably less than 20 years...
Oh, when we arrived home there was one tiny detail: the top (bed) half didn't fit through the front door. (I wasn't kidding when I said the front door is smaller than your fridge door) The widest point of the crib-handles is only 69 cm, but it wouldn't fit. Luckily the neighbours arrived soon after us and were kind enough to let us use their front door / staircase / balcony. (and then on to our balcony)

{update: After one night I can say it is still so surreal to have this in our house. Like it is a prop for a play maybe}

Drama with stepteen refusing to see me and/or come to Amsterdam continues (It's been two months now). DP spent two male-only days with the boys for their autumn break at his parents place and the contact was perfectly normal. (But the topic was avoided) Now the Amsterdam kid weekends are only filled with his youngest son.

When DP was getting ready to drive the crib filled car from my parents' to our house his boy was suddenly keen to cycle back with me. He was fine in traffic and kept talking all the while.
Did I know what was strange? In fairy tales the stepmothers are always evil, but there are also some very lovely stepmothers. Oh, there is our bridge, here we turn right!

I think he was right on all accounts... (the thing is, we never refer to me as stepmother, we just use my name, so I'm slightly puzzled if this came out of the blue)

3 comments:

  1. It IS a bit yellow. Sunny, maybe? Or, a good seamstress would work wonders. I say that as someone who has problems sewing buttons onto shirts, which is why I outsource anything that needs to be mended, sewn, hemmed or otherwise altered. But you're right about the ironwork - it's lovely. And prop for a play was exactly how I felt, as well. A prop for a very strange, surreal play. But one which had me smiling as I left the theatre (as I have every hope will be the case for you).

    (Very sorry to hear about the stepteen).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is lovely, even if it is very yellow and covered in green stars. It is very odd when you first start bringing in things that will be used by your baby. I remember just sitting in our daughter's room and staring when we first furnished it.

    AS to the the step-son's comments, it sounds like he is now seeing you as a step-mom because you are about to become a mom-mom. It changes how you look at things. I'm sure the oldest is just scared that the new baby is going to take his Dad away from him and has cast you in bad light so that he doesn't have to be mad at his Dad or admit how he's feeling. I hope it works itself out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it too, it's sweet. I think it's cool to adapt it - though *how* is a bit of a mystery to me, too. An upholstering friend is what is needed here.

    Well, progress on the stepkid front, I would say. Some stepmothers ARE lovely, how true - the cogs are turning, it seems.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.