Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Shopping

My mother told me that as a kid I always dragged her into the Mothercare store so I could push around the prams (but I can't remember).
As a student I loved to browse through baby aisles of warehouses, and my favourite gift was to pick out baby socks, just because they were so small.
As an infertile it became a nightmare to be in a shop surrounded by baby items.
Last week I decided I really couldn't put it off any longer to buy a flexible bra. I'd done some research online to find a shop that should carry the size I needed. I went in (in a baby/mother shop), but by the time I reached the back wall with the bras (had to pass multiple aisles with baby clothes) I was already in a mild panic. Bought two as quickly as I could without trying them on.
At home I saw I bought nursing bras. Can hardly express how embarrassed I was. Or how much I dreaded going back. (yes, in my mind it is still impossible to buy things only needed in a certain kind of future) In the end my colleague Lily decided we could go together during lunch break, as it would probably be quieter than on the weekend. She was right, the store was deserted, and she calmly helped me pick not only the right size but the right item as well. (Plus riding with her on the tandem was both great fun and a nice distraction)

On Saturday I asked my mother to go shopping with me for pants I can keep wearing to work. I wanted black pants that say 'nothing to see here, move right along'
Normally she is very good at being pleasant with the sales people while giving me little nods of approval or tiny shakes of no. This time she kept encouraging me to try more things on and in the end she liked almost everything, so I ended up with 6 items that all mix and match and will get me through winter.
I think my mother enjoyed it very much, being surrounded by maternity clothes and talking with the sales lady. (she may even have toned down her outward enthusiasm for me)
22 weeks today and I still find it weird and hard to believe. It's only 5 kilo's difference and so far only 1 person has come up to me to ask if I was just getting a little belly or pregnant.



6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got some support to get you through that (and some support for the "girls" as well)! I'm just wondering who had the balls to actually ask if you were getting a little belly?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She plays clarinet in my orchestra/band, around my age. She is also the only one who ever noticed when I had my hair coloured a darker shade of brown, and asked about that. With the hair I told her yes, and thanked her for noticing. With the belly I said I didn't feel like talking about it as it hadn't been smooth sailing. Have to admit she kept her mouth shut when other people were wondering if I had any children.

      Delete
  2. Happy 22 weeks! and you are doing briliantly with weight gain! Well done on the shopping too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with the shopping - it can be a bit odd getting your head around needing maternity clothes!

    When I went shopping for a nursing bra, with my baby in tow, the shop assistant spent ages measuring me. I asked her if I should get re-measured later on down the line, and she said "Yes, in three months, if you're going to breastfeed." Who else buys nursing bras? :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valery, these are wonderful huge steps, (little bra missteps notwithstanding). You are doing great. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so happy to read your post and see that you were able to share the experience with your Mom.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.