Sunday, February 5, 2012

Winter Wonderings

Some pretty pictures. I love skating on natural ice. It's only a handful of days, and some years we are not so lucky.
The thing I found very difficult this time was that is was kid-weekend, and DP was very risk averse because of that. AND we needed to go back early because they hadn't finished their homework. My evil step-mother voice will not shut up: because of the kids we went back early. Because of them DP and I missed out on more and more beautiful skating. I feel bad for thinking that but I don't know how to stop it. Alternate realities ranging from 'with baby' to 'without anyone' don't really help me. Trying to be proud of the kids for skating quite well. (Maybe the next year with skate-able ice they are already stronger skaters than me. I have no illusions that there might be a time we will all have the same capabilities)
It can't help it, but not fleeing, it hurts. Please let it be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I hear you on the painful tug of war between your needs/wants and the children's. I have been there and I know it hurts. It's good to think of ways to take care of both whenever/wherever possible...I wonder if next time you could also bring a friend or two and then if DP and the kids need to leave early, you can still stay and skate? Skating is more fun with more people anyway. Beautiful pictures.
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is natural to feel cheated of 'what should have been' at different moments and wanting to run away from 'what is'. I hope there is still enough ice ot skate next weekend.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.