Work-wise it was an easy week, my first week back at work. But somehow DP and HB had gotten into a fight. It started as something work-related and snowballed into them not talking to each other at all. It was very scary. At first I tried to ignore it, but after three days they both started asking my advice. It felt like a balancing act, the listening and explaining the other side, going back and forth between them. Making sure I was there to listen, but not becoming part of the problem (or the solution for that matter) A couple days later they were ready to talk and work it out over dinner in town. They celebrated their friendship with some more wine and came home mildly intoxicated. Pfffew.
My parents were not so lucky with my brother. He basically told them that contact with his wife and children will always be problematic. My mother doesn't understand and is in tears when she talks about it. My parents were always looking forward to becoming grandparents, but this wasn't what they expected. I spoke to my brother briefly and said I didn't want to (or could) be their mediator. Don't understand what the problem is, and am sure that if my brother knew a solution he would work it out. A part of me thinks I don't care enough- I used to be the peace keeper/maker.
I find it hard to explain that I miss my own children more than my brother's. And therefore it hurts a little that my parents don't (seem to). BambiEyes said I could give it a try, that my parents might just relate, that it is a good analogy.
I want to say more but can't focus enough to put it into actual words, so I'll post before this week turns into a month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Conflict is horrible, isn't it? For me, it brings up all these feelings I remember from being a child. Oh dear, Val, I am sorry about this family stuff, just now, too (though at least the boys have sorted it out). You have to do what is right for you, though, and you're right, getting in the middle doesn't sound like that, at all.
ReplyDeleteTake care.
Glad you got your first week back to work out of the way. Sorry for the interpersonal problems between people in your life. Yeesh. That can get awkward...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad DP and HB worked things out. I think staying out of the issues between your parents and your brother is wise.
ReplyDelete