Sunday, March 13, 2011

referral letter for DE

My GP was really happy about my request for a referral for DE, she said lots of positive things. I'm afraid I've forgotten most of them though. She asked me lots of questions to verify I meet all the criteria. A weird language thing is that in Dutch the medical way of asking how long you have been TTC is 'how long have you had your child wish'. Part of me wants to blurt out that I have always known I wanted children, but I stuck to the facts. TTC more than x years: check. POF confirmed: check. Partner: check. Possible donor: check. She agreed with me that the waiting lists of the big local hospital are quite long and told me that she had had several patients who were really happy with the other clinic that was mentioned. This other clinic has the eerie name of Medical Center Child Wish. Makes me cringe.
TTC clinic? Wish-a-baby clinic? Make-a-baby clinic?  Make-a-wish clinic? Feel free to cast your vote.

Since I'd taken the day of work anyway I thought I might as well call the clinic after I got home. They even answered the phone, were friendly and explained I could make an appointment in about three weeks for me and DP. I would also need Fof to call them and make an appointment separately. I concluded that it would be wise to talk to Fof first and find out how far she would be willing to travel, since this clinic is a half hour drive away. (or 80 minutes with public transport)

Conversations with DP are a lot easier and smoother now. He does come up with questions about the process, about medication, about Fof. And even asked if he could tell his family. (if they ask- yes, if this is really happening- yes, otherwise- not just yet. As for the boys- we agreed not to tell them about a baby till I start to show. And about DE I want to stick to a kiddy version of it : an egg from the hospital)  

So...I have my letter. The juggling of contact, information, appointments and waiting has really started.
I feel nervous and vulnerable, but in a happy sort of way. All I need now is the right mix of patience, wisdom and pro-activity in getting Fof involved for real.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like things are really moving along now! I am so glad things are better with DP as well.

    About the neighbour's baby, I think you handled that as best as can be expected. The balloons were very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you, it's finally happening :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for you. Wishing it all to go smoothly.

    Child wish? Interesting way of phrasing it. I can't work out if I find it sweet or patronising. And they named the clinic that? In Britain, clinics are named things like The London Clinic, ie they tend not to let you know what the clinic's FOR in the NAME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really excited for you! It sounds like the wheels are turning and you have made up your mind for real now. Wow...

    Veel succes meid, met het hele proces!
    Dikke knuffel,
    Mijke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats. Sounds like a good step forward.

    "Child wish" is even more eerie than "peanut cheese" ;-)

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.