Tuesday, December 17, 2013

777

When I got back from my trip I was overwhelmed by how big our new house is. When we first moved here it was after months and months of being involved in many details of the renovation, so it was more of a project. I was feeling proud of what was achieved, of the realisation what we had set out to do.
Then one month trying to get settled wasn't really enough.

On the trip I had very little time or space to myself, and just enough energy for scuba diving and keeping my milk production going.

Getting back was a bit of a shock in more ways than one.
Halfway through the flight home (in the middle of the night) there was a call for medical assistance. The doctor from our scuba group and 2 other people got up to offer help.
I checked the inflight map system and saw we were above the big nowhere between Ulaanbaatar and Novosibirsk and did a silent prayer for the person in need. I tried to doze of and later saw we were heading for Moscow instead of Amsterdam.
We did a quick stop to get the poor passenger to a hospital, and arrived home with just 2 hours delay. we met up with the doctor who told us the passenger in need was a woman who was only 24 weeks pregnant. They found out there were contraction inhibitors on board they could administer, and with help from 'ground control' Moscow was picked as best option. I'm trying not to think about what it must be like getting stuck in a Russian hospital with contractions at 24 weeks.
It was ever so reassuring that DP came to the airport swinging Suzy about to pick me up. So happy to see them, even if unshaven (him) or covered in dried snot (her).
Still hard to adjust from hot to freezing temperature.

And suddenly the house felt so big! It is 'the new house', not yet our new home. When I say house keys I mean the keys of the old house, I say keys of the door in the ally when I mean the new ones.
This morning I had a new shock: I looked at the gas meter. (Our central heating and hot water system works on gas) 777 m3 in a good two months, roughly 500 euros.
And winter has not even begun.
The doll house had an energy bill of 1000 euros a year......
We've adjusted the thermostat programming as soon as we got home, shaving of degrees and hours of the heating schedule, and we will keep a sharp eye on that meter for the next couple weeks.

(depending on how that goes I might think of curtains. I do enjoy the view so much though)

2 comments:

  1. Twangy said:
    "do you have a little room that can be easily heated where you can hide on cold days? Speaking as one who grew up in a big draughty Victorian house."
    but blogger ate the original, so I post it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another bit from Twangy: "How the glimpses we get of other people’s lives can be so unsettling, maybe because we don’t ever hear the conclusion."
      Re the lady who had to get off the plane in Russia..

      Delete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.