Friday, March 15, 2013

The day after the night before

Friday, still the 22nd of February.
My parents and HB coincidentally showed up at the same time, so we could more or less formally announce all Suzy's given names: one for my mother, one for DP's mother and one for HB, who was conveniently named after an aunt of his.
The three of them left for work (or playing tennis), the three of us could take a nap: a camping bed was wheeled in for DP and he crashed gratefully.
Two hours later we had to move from delivery to nursery, much more comfy bed for me, no bed for DP.
When I had to shift to the other bed however the nurses warned me: I might not be able to stand up...
Gloops...
Tried very carefully, and was glad to discover I could still manoeuvre myself 20 cm across. But was indeed glad to go back to horizontal!
The sun came out, an aunt came over before lunch.
My mother popped in the bring more biscuits and coloured aniseeds ('beschuit met muisjes')
DP picked up his youngest son from school and his parents so the afternoon was full house. My FIL looked golden to finally have a granddaughter too. It was wonderful to see DP's youngest make the transformation to bigger brother, he was really happy to be there.
When he kept asking for more 'beschuit met muisjes' the traditional Dutch birth treat I send DP and his family out to go get some food. I knew they were allowed to stay with me till 8 PM, but I didn't want to stretch the new big brother love that far. I mean, you can only keep a hungry 9 year old for so long... (and it was only 5 PM)
DP's parents took back their gift to get Suzy's name engraved on the dinner set.
Can't remember much about the breastfeeding (ohw, should have written this earlier!)
just that I was completely amazed about how strong a newborn can be!
And that tiger-crawl-towards-breast-reflex? if it is stimulated it gets stronger!!! So with Suzy on my chest she would kick her legs, push up on her arms, lift her head and let it crash like a little wrecking ball, suckle where she landed and if no milk comes out try again 5 cm further on.
And when she latches, OMG my poor nipple didn't know what was happening to it. I was warned that the first 30 seconds can be quite painful, but when milk starts flowing it should subside. It did, thank goodness. And I knew to take it easy, just a few minutes at the time to get into it without overdoing it. So I stopped when the pain came back.

(ah, an aside on pain: my whole pelvic floor area was blissfully numb for at least a week. Didn't feel a thing)

When everyone finally left I was tired. Made a phone call to HB and talked him through posting the B-day post.
And Suzy was still at my side, in her glass crib on wheels... I could lift her out myself to feed or cuddle her.
Or I could just lay there and look at her.
our DE miracle.
real now.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, those moments staring at your newborn in its glass crib next to you (and he/she staring back, losing yourself in his/her eyes), that is pure magic. Welcome to the world of mommyhood,you're in for a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! so very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.