40 years ago my parents were new to their street. When I was born they decided to invite the neighbours and everyone else in the street plus family and friends to a big reception (in their big house). This way they would get to know more people around them and also have most of the baby-visits over and done with in one go.
With me horizontal for so many days it became obvious that I would not be able to receive many visitors any time soon.
And our big house may not be ours for quite some months to come.
My parents didn't hesitate to repeat history, they even got my birth book to check to do lists, guests and ingredients.
It was wonderful.
It was overwhelming.
It was incredible to physically see so many people who cared in some way.
I think around 60 people attended. Half of them invited by me and DP (including our families), the other half people my parents invited, people who belonged to the fabric of my youth.
There was plenty 'beschuit met muisjes'
There was tea
There was cake
There was 'kandeel', an old fashioned home brew from oblivion, cinnamon, white wine and egg yolks( I think the only other time I heard of that was at my (and my brothers) birth)
And we need to get Suzy her own bookcase for all the lovely books she got.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh - that is so lovely. What a beautiful idea.
ReplyDelete