Friday, March 15, 2013

Suction Cup Suzy

Hospital staff was wonderful.
I could push a button when Suzy or me needed a clean diaper and they took good care of both of us. I think I kept feeding Suzy every couple of hours.
At 3 AM one of the nurses asked if she would take Suzy to the children's room so I could get some sleep?
What? A children's room? with trained professionals looking after her? well, yes please! Sleep to get my recovery going sounded like a marvellous idea.
Around 5:30 they brought Suzy back, screaming loudly for more milk. No problem! And I was allowed some more sleep after that.
When the day started a new nurse came in with Suzy again. And told me with a smile that she had been a handful. Apparently all the nurses had taken turns trying to settle her, and hospital breastfeeding rules discourage the use of a soother and promotes a pinky finger instead. And so she earned her first nickname: Suction Cup Suzy ;-)
And I was glad to know that her suction was very powerful indeed, that it wasn't my imagination. Also, no need for me to worry about this whole teat/nipple confusion conundrum, she will suck the life/milk out of anything you put within her reach.
Looking at her little face, the complete devotion to latching on, with the attack of a viper-kitten, like her life depends on it... well I suppose in a way it does...
Breaking that seal took a bit of practice, and I was surprised to find quite how far a nipple stretches within a babies mouth (using my pinky finger whole top digit to spoon it out from her palate)

Even now when I write this 3 weeks on, I have to look and double check if she has taken a big mouthful of breast with lips curled outwards when latching on, she can still be soo eager and superquick that I don't always have time to shape my breast for her mouth to catch properly.

3 comments:

  1. The childen's room sounds fantastic. We didn't have anything like that in the hospital I was in and I was stuck there for 5 days - the night I got home both the boy and I slept for 7 hours straight.

    Hope she's growing up big and strong - it all goes so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are handling things like a pro! I'm glad things are going well and that DP's youngest is happy to be a big brother. Hopefully, the older brother will come around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so exciting! what a blessing DE is!!!

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.