
'twas magical.
The moment I submerge I'm in another world. It takes my breath away -literally- and lifts the weight of my shoulders -also literally. It is possible to not think, not feel sad but just look, look look at the colours of the abundance of fishes, the coral and all other creatures.
My ears always protest a little at the increasing pressure, but nudging them gently they will squeak, squeal and finally squeeze into equilibrium. At first I hear nothing but the escaping bubbles of my own breathing. But then, sometimes, a parrot fish munching on coral. KrrrGGggK. Or a school of little damselfish making tiny tick sounds (like popping mini bubble wrap). A dive buddy making a metallic sound to point out a rare creature. And towards the end of a dive I can hear waves crashing above me.
And when I feel my cheeks get wet I know I smile and water is coming in my mask. I clear my mask and feel warm air on my face again.
Part of me never wants a dive to end, but the water is steadily taking my body heat away. HB, my buddy signals, our time is up and up we go. Warm in the Egyptian sun for a minute, then rest in the shade. Drink a mango lassie or a cup of Bedouin tea. And dream about our next dive....
I remember the sound of the parrotfish. I once followed one (while snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. I was too chicken to go scuba-diving) for a few minutes, fascinated by its wonderful colors, the weird shape of its head and the sound it was making while eating. When I got back up I noticed I was a lot further away from the boat than I thought I was. The beautiful colors and sounds of the underwater world really CAN make you forget about the rest of the world for a while...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it worked for you, too!
(Oh! It was diving, not driving. Oh dear.
ReplyDeleteSorry for that. Ehem!)
It looks SO BEAUUUTIFUL. Oh wow. I want to go, too.
Looks fantastic! I'd love to do it again too!
ReplyDeleteSounds utterly blissful.
ReplyDeleteI am too much of a chicken to do anything more than snorkel, but this post really makes me want to try!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had such a good trip, and were able to kind of reconnect with yourself.
ReplyDelete