DP and me are not married. And the day after tomorrow we are not married (but together) for twelve and a half years exactly, and we decided to throw a big party.
On a boat.
this one:
The weather is very autumny but the ship has a warm and cozy interior:
I will wear my mothers wedding dress (yes I am a slightly insane.) She will wear her mother's evening gown (waste not, want not?) DP bought a giant pirates hat and a frilly shirt.
I am equally terrified we are overdoing it or not doing enough. (Should we not arrange thank you gifts for our guests? Is the boat not too big/do we have enough guests? Flowers instead of balloons? Late evening french fries? Good bye chocolates?)
So happy my parents will be there, grateful they are happy and healthy. And a bit fearful: DP's father was there for his brother's wedding last year, and died within three months. Yes he was older and much less strong and healthy than my parents. But still.
We are reaching this age where more and more friends are losing a parent.(DElia, Twangy) (or two, poor HB and J)
I made the faux pas of pressing Lily to come, but she confessed that being recently divorced she couldn't face a party full of wedding dresses. Ouch. Here I was thinking myself such a considerate person, having learned from my infertility journey and all that.
J is doing pictures, Suzy can be a flower girl again. HB is party planner/ master of ceremony without a ceremony.
And I am wearing my new party shoes while I write this, in hopes the remain both new looking and are broken into.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Wow, what a ship! That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate 12.5 years of being not married! (And I love that you'll get to wear your mother's dress and she'll wear her mother's. I was married in my grandmother's wedding dress and my mother-in-law's veil, and treasure the thought that a grandchild of mine might wear my dress someday.)
ReplyDeleteMy mother did show me her veil, but it was disintegrating with every touch... 49 years was too much for it.
DeleteAh, that sounds so nice. I hope it went swimmingly (HAR) and you had a lovely time. It's so important to celebrate. It's something that doesn't come easily but it's lovely to look back at these highlighted moments in your memory.
ReplyDeleteAbout losing parents, all you can do is make the most of them, ask them everything you want to know, hug them and love them and you're doing all that, so try not to worry. xxx
OMG celebrating an anniversary in a tall ship!! Genius! Was it under sail or at the dock?
ReplyDeleteBTW I understand the anxiety of losing people (lost my dad two years ago). But I think that’s actually a good reason to have these big events. My step brother in law died tragically two years after our wedding. But at least the wedding is one more memory we, and especially my step mil haven of him. It matters.