Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Summer Holiday with a bad cough.

Summer Holiday mostly uneventful. As in, not very stressful. The long drive to France we did in two stages, staying with friends with a gîte in the Vosges before travelling on to the Jura. Lovely to see them after four years, lovely to introduce our Suzy to them. Turned out they had an addition to their family as well, a rescue labrador, conveniently also called Suzy.
Camping was OK, the new tent so huge you could park your car inside. The weather very hot to begin with, gave me headaches.
Just my silly cough would not clear up. To the point even the teenagers started to ask me if I was OK. But too stubborn to see a French doctor. Even though walking the mountains became harder every day, and carrying Suzy in the back-carrier made me seriously short of breath.
At home two weeks later it turned out I had pneumonia. No wonder breathing was so hard!
Long live penicillin.

Then came windows 10. For a day we believed we lost my laptop. Agonising crawl doesn't describe how impossible it was to work do anything with. But plugging in an ethernet cable, DP's perseverance and another boatload of automatic updates have resurrected it to almost normal use. Lost the webcam, tried everything. Including updating the BIOS.

Then came a headhunter. Pestering me about my CV, couldn't I send an extended version, wouldn't I like this or that company... So this Thursday I already have an interview. Have to get myself out of holiday mode because it sounds promising; a club of independant consultants sharing a network. Doing the test work I want to get back into.

Also, unreasonably excited about this young Dutch girl winning a silver medal on the 100m sprint

Jamaican Shelly-Ann an absolute star, and on top of that her hair in her national colours, love those flowers. While to my eyes Dafne looks so incredibly normal. The Dutch are a silly people, normal is the best thing you can be.

J found out his treatment will take year and a half, five days a week. Starting mid september. This puts him in a bit of a difficult position, as his stay with us was meant to be temporary. He is in Pax's room, and moves to the guest room every other weekend when the boys are here. (the boys have their own bathroom, the guest room shares with us) For the summer that seemed a reasonable way to stay here, but more than a year not so much. But the being occupied 5 days per week makes it difficult to get some kind of job. I suppose we were all hoping he could fix himself this summer/year, then move on to buy own house and find job. O well, plan B will come.

Tomorrow will be my last day of taking penicillin, have to go back to have my lungs listened to.
And on the weekend we will go to the seaside with Suzy and my parents for their annual Suzy-Summer outing.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a lot going on. My hubby has had a cough for a few weeks now and refuses to go to the Dr. I feel like getting him to read this so that he will take care of himself. Hope you are feeling better!Oh, how did the interview go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe those French doctors would have ben okay after all! Glad you're recovering well though. And I would find the heat too much to take. Not used to it here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, okay, I'll just hope you're better now, and resist the temptation to beg you to look after yourself (!)

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.