Friday, a rotten day at work.
7 pm, Delia on the phone, if I could arrange last minute child care and be at the theatre at 8?? DP would only be home with the boys around 9 so I had a one hour gap to fill and around 30 minutes to do it in. While preparing Suzy for bed I made some phone calls (parents not home, no answer on mobile) and thankfully my Aunt who does Monday afternoon babysitting was happy to jump on her bike without hesitation. Uncle would follow 10 minutes later, so he had still some time to pour the freshly brewed coffee in their thermos and bring it :)
It was marvellous to be out on the street five to eight on a Friday night. There were people about! going places, talking, having fun. And I was one of them.
Cabaret was good to take my mind of work.
Because this Friday was the day hipster boss chose to present me my "improvement plan". The meeting was supposed to be from 10 - 11 am. The first half hour he kept stressing he put a lot of thought and effort into his plan, while at the same time saying I should make "action plans". Among which one where I were to find ways to improve myself and how to prove I did that. Another one to change the way of working between our team and two other departments. At 10:33 I felt the trembling of my lip getting worse, I couldn't hold my pencil still anymore. I squeaked that we should discuss the rest of his plan at a later time while I was getting up and leaving the room.
I was lucky that HB was at his desk and had some time to listen to me. He suggested I talk with the same HR lady as before and share my emotions with her. And so I did. (Again, lucky she was available almost immediately) I spoke with her for almost an hour. After confirming this plan was probably ridiculous she did ask if I even wanted to try and jump through hoops. She was willing to help equally in finding me a new job.
During lunch DP was saying things like hipster boss might be under pressure, that maybe it was a matter of staying power.
After lunch hipster boss presented his reorganisation of the team in the team meeting. It looked remarkably like my "improvement plan".
Saturday morning DP looked at my boss's papers. And changed his mind. He said the plan was so much out of line in so many ways that I should reject it completely. And start looking for a new job. He started smiling and saying we could make hipster boss's life miserable, that between DP, HB, HR lady and me we'd be smarter than hipster and show him all the ways he is wrong.
The thought of leaving this job is a relief. Waging war not so much.
Saturday morning we looked at this
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh so sorry for the crap day....It seems I have not been shortlisted for the first job I applied and I found out last night through a friend, I put up a brave face while I felt like crawling under a couch. It's not so much that I didn't make the cut (or they already had someone in mind, or I was overqualified etc) is the thought of not having an alternative and being stuck in my current place....
ReplyDeleteHipster boss sounds like a bullying turd who shouldn't be in management. Can you raise a formal grievance or anything?
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed the cabaret.