Thursday, August 14, 2014

Room to Breathe

Before the holiday I asked my boss if we could talk about my working hours. Because my unpaid parental leave was running out by July 31th. And I want to keep spending Wednesdays with Suzy. I asked for 70%, leaving myself some room for negotiation up to 80%
He said he would ask his boss, because 'official office policy is to work full time'
but boss-boss was on holiday, so I would hear the answer later. O well.

Holiday was very relaxing.

When I returned he invited me for 'coffee'. Somehow this euphemism for meeting or talk doesn't sit well with me. Especially when he does indeed go to the company restaurant and buys coffee for himself and then offers me tea (I have my own tea maker, why would I pay for tea?)
Anyway, I sat down at his desk at a quiet moment.  Asking him for his answer. Then my boss started going on about how apparently he didn't have the legal means to deny me to work part time. So 70% was allright then. Even though he was not happy about it.
One of the reasons behind this is that there are not enough people in the team. My previous boss fired one. My current boss was supposed to hire one, but didn't do it fast enough. Not sure what happened, maybe HR decided that if it took to long he didn't really need it?
And with me cutting back my contract he seems unable to hire a part time person to make up for that as well. Lily has a 80% contract, some other people 90%, there should be enough to hire an extra person if he could talk to the right people in HR and/or control.

I think we concluded before that he is a bit of a nincompoop.

However! There is an upside!
He is now determined that I am better off in the development team, and will try to get me a job there!
Hoping I get my brain into gear before I have to prove I'm up to it.
(I think I have some time as that possible future boss is on holiday now)
  

1 comment:

  1. Nincompoop bosses - far too common! Hope you get a job where you can be flexible, and where you are appreciated. Whenever I've worked with someone who is part-time, they've always achieved more than most full-time workers. Resistance to being flexible to workers always shows a lack of imagination - in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.