Monday, April 9, 2012

Stress steps

I'm nervous. I feel it at work, it's hard to focus even though I have a very easy job at the moment. I feel it in my right arm, even when I'm not behind the computer using a mouse.
I feel it in the shower. Yesterday I slipped and fell in the shower. Mostly on my bum, which is well padded and therefore fine, partly on my left wrist, which is not fine. This morning, in the shower again, I looked at my hands, comparing them to check for swelling. Instead I discovered my left wrist and hand were slightly blue. Blue. And that was a trigger for me to start fainting. What? Why? I'm not a wimp! I don't do that?! But squatting down in the shower wasn't really helping, nor the cold air/warm water contrast, so out I crawled on the floor with my legs up waiting for the swooshing sound in my ears to stop and my vision to return... (The pretty bright blue dots that spiked my greyed out vision almost made it worth it.) Thankfully it only took a minute or two, but I'm still thinking stress.

In the way of paperwork I've obtained a form for my blood test, DP still needs to get his. I've found a lab that is open after office hours on Tue and Wed.
I know DP hates to have a blood test, (thanks universe for the reminder that fainting is rotten) but, sigh, he needs to do it this week. I managed to explain this to him last week, he agreed to call his doctor to request his form, but didn't make the call yet.
He did however send an email to our clinic from last year for our test results there and they did send copies in the mail. Will have fun translating those in English.
Other paperwork: scans of passports, our names and details, referring doctor/website, we should fill those out today. I want to get it over with.
One clinic wants a close up photo of the two of us. I'm happy they want that, but I don't think we even have that many pictures with the two of us? because it's usually DP who makes the pictures... Gah... It seems so important to pick the "right" photo.

Pfff, that was my list of worries for now.

In Easter news: we spent Saturday working in HB's garden. The fence had broken two years before and his father had come over to help him with a temporary fix. It was the last time his father visited his house, the last thing they had done together. His father died last year, a storm destroyed the temp fixing. Now the time seemed right for something new. The weather was helping, the nearby garden center was helping and delivering the same day, the old fence didn't resist too much and was gone in an hour. We needed to get the hang of setting up the new bits and pieces, had a slow start at 4, but soldiered on till 8 and managed to get half the new fence up.
Made salmon-spinach-pasta in the oven and watched a Star Trek movie with the three of us snuggled up on the couch. Finally met beam-me-up-Scotty. Was a good day!

Sunday we visited my parents for an Easter luncheon, and we told them about our eggs-plan in Barcelona and that our secret mission last year had failed. (I figured that Easter would be the time for egg news.) Their first reaction was to talk about Barcelona, yes we will visit the Sagrada Familia, yes we have been there before in 2006.
Then my father started clearing the table and my mother started asking questions about egg donation and if I really didn't have any eggs left myself.
At home DP and I decided it was time for a culinary adventure, something HB had recorded from BBC Saturday Kitchen: Salmon with veggies drowning in cream sauce. With extra asparagus for Easter specialness. Turned out well. I even remembered to light the yellow egg shaped candle on the left.

(and my wrist survived all this typing, yay)

5 comments:

  1. Oh Val. Poor wrist. You know, I get that swishy thing in the ears too, when I am very stressed - I think the grey dotty vision is a low blood pressure thing, too. However. One should keep an eye and consult an actual doctor if these symptoms return, shouldn't one? "Just" stress probably, though. [Insert hollow laughter].

    You're such a good friend to HB. Aw!
    Well done on telling the parents, too. Huge steps! I am hugely impressed by you.

    (Mmm. Asparagus.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Easter is definitely a good time for egg news. Good for you for telling your parents. I'm sorry their response was sort of...well, not really engaged, right? Maybe they need a little time to digest it.

    When do you fly out? Maybe Twangypearl is right - a check up with a doctor isn't a bad idea...just in case. It's not good to get on a plane if you're not 100%. Stress does weird things to us, doesn't it?

    Yes, HB is lucky to have you guys. I'm sure he will be a great uncle.

    Keep on swimming.

    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our parents really struggle to get their heads around infertility and what it all means, and the options we have at our disposal these days, don't they?

    I'd get your wrist checked out. At the very least to have physiotherapy (I'm a great believer in the restorative powers of physio) to ensure you don't have problems in the future, and it might help you deal with the stress manifesting in your hands.

    Salmon and asparagus and cream sauce. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val - sorry you're feeling so stressed. My advice... find something to help with it. My cure was acupuncture. Half an hour on my naturopath's table and I felt like a new woman.

    I hope your wrist is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I think blogger just ate my comment so I'll try again.

    Sorry you're feeling so stressed and sorry you hurt your wrist. Acupuncture was a god-send for me when I was getting ready for DEIVF and was having panic attacks. Made me feel like a new woman.

    It was very kind of you to help out HB.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.