The Netherlands are frozen over. This is good news for ice skating people. And it is snowed over. This is not good news, as this is making the skating difficult and the ice unpredictable. But with effort and brooms and swishy machines the snow can be put to the side to make a path for skating.
The entire country is engulfed in this sub-zero fever, and I'm joining. It is good for the soul I believe. On skates you get to go places you otherwise don't. You go as fast as if you're running, but with half the effort and a fraction of the noise. Today I did an official tour, with thousands of other enthusiasts. The line of people meandering over that frozen plane, almost as if we are a giant snake, part of something bigger.
Sometimes working your way against the wind (oy you eastern wind, was it really that cold in Russia?) sometimes wind in the back, making you feel you are almost flying, hardly touching the ice.
The sounds of the ice itself varies. Sometimes it howls like a seal, or a clucks like a bottle filling. Or it can creak and moan. Or be very very silent. Sometimes the only noise is a bit of snow whispering under my skate.
Yesterday my best friend managed again to take time off work, we jumped in his car and rode to some tiny village. As soon as we saw an unusual line of cars parked we knew we were close, parked and jumped out.
When there is not that many people on the ice it is easier to feel the magic. Exploring some smaller waterways running of the main lake, a last swan lost in a white field.
At the end of skating there is always hot chocolate milk. Yesterday it was provided in the tiny village.
Today I worked out how the coffee machine steam wand at home worked, and made hot chocolate with more than maximum froth, I think the milk to froth ratio was 2:3. Heaven! (on the second floor)
Tomorrow the ice should still be good, and DP and I will go together for the afternoon.
Despair is only allowed back when thaw sets in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Magical. It sounds like so much fun.
ReplyDeleteI want to go!! And have hot chocolate after!
It sounds lovely. Good job on the hot chocolate.
ReplyDeleteGood on you, Valery. Sometimes you have to just stop thinking and be.
ReplyDeleteLove your description of the ice. Beautiful.
Sorry, I've been somewhat negligent on the commenting recently. I liked the post. I'd love to go skating in the great outdoors.
ReplyDelete