Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Snow

Sunday afternoon some fresh snow was falling. DP and I went outside to the little playground and joined the kids from 4 houses down in making a snowman. It was quite fun playing in the snow, talking to the little ones (boy 4 and girl 3) and rolling small snowballs, stacking them etc. At some stage a neighbour mother from 5 houses down came outside, noticed us playing and said
"But you don't have kids?!"

I don't know, I want to believe she meant well. That it just came out wrong. She doesn't know about our infertility. She does know DP has kids. Maybe she doesn't understand the every other weekend part of that. Maybe she meant to ask if his boys would come outside so she could ask her kids as well?
I don't want to believe she meant that childless adults can not enjoy snow, that I had no right to be there. At the time I was too busy to think about it, but two days later it is nagging me.



We went for a walk in the park and saw plenty of evidence of people enjoying the snow. Most likely people from all ages and persuasions, if their snow art is any clue. How do you like this one? (I hope you can tell from the picture, it was getting dark)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. I would prefer to think your neighbour just blurted the wrong thing, too. Surely she is not such a curmudgeon as to think snowmen are only for children or parents?
    You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing. So there, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I wonder if she is a bitter fertile and really meant, "why would you want to play in the snow when you can do so many other great things without kids?" that only parents are stuck playing in the snow with their kids...People say the dumbest things sometimes. I'm glad you and DP had a nice time - that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. My aunts have been known to express surprise that I like kids, kids like me, I'll happily play with them, and I do know which end you wipe and which end you feed. Grrr.

    And I love mucking about in the snow. It shows humour, resilience, and a charming ability to not take oneself too seriously.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

If Blogger eats your comment you can mail me on valeryvalentina at gmail and I'll post it for you.